   Re: [xml-dev] Call for fast XML implementations

I think we need a bit more in the area of use cases. XML Parsers can
clearly be tweaked within the realm of conformance, without being
incredibly useful. For instance, if you are just looking for a
well-formedness test you can get a pretty fast parser. If you are
looking for it to report anything back to you that will slow it down.
Reporting methodology is important. Under SAX there is a large degree of
work that must be done before the information is passed to the
application-- oftentimes this work is conjoined into the lexer. If there
was no anticipation of utilizing various features then the reporting
facilities could be removed. Additionally, *fast* is clearly relative.
If you are only parsing XML-TS files then in general any parser that has
name caching or name hashes will perform more slowly than if they were
parsing a 12 gig database to XML dump of repeating record and field
names. Likewise, XML parsers that maintain useful error information
(e.g. position) will be slower than less-informative models.

Of course, this synopsis is less than empirical... more results from
parsers I have tested in the trenches.

As an aside, are your tests focused only on UTF-8/16?

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter