   RE: [xml-dev] Bad programmers use recursion, xslt (Offtopic...)

> Not sure if related but I found in my experience
> that sometimes splitting a single XSLT1.0
> transformation
> into two transformations could bring good if
> not big performance improvements.

I agree. Not only performance improvements, but improvements in the
readability, maintainability and reusability of the code.

> if one does not define very well the
> "xml interfaces" to communicate between stylesheets
> (the structure of the xml trees input of each
> stylesheet) it becomes very difficult to understand,
> document  and debug them.

Agreed: there's a lot to be said for defining a schema for each intermediate
document in the pipeline, and using schema-aware stylesheets to trap the
errors as soon as they occur, rather than allowing them to propagate to
later stages in the pipeline.

> I tried to find something that allows you to
> do multiple transformations in a declarative
> way but I did not find much.

There's a W3C activity starting up to define a pipeline processing language
which will make it possible to do this in a portable way.

Meanwhile there are pipeline processors for example from Orbeon and from
Markup Technologies (http://www.markup.co.uk/), and other people are using
tools like Ant.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/