   <offtopic> The Fallacy of Reification

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: <offtopic> The Fallacy of Reification
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)" <len.bullard@intergraph.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:38:29 -0600

http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=5270&t=organizations

You'll hate this.  It is nonetheless true.   What it doesn't point out
is the extreme danger of superstition in systems that amplify results.
I pointed it out in the Enterprise Engineering papers at GE in the
80s but it is a lesson that has to be relearned often.  At that time,
we knew the web was coming and the dangers of stuffing faulty beliefs
into real time systems that are fast to grant but slow to revoke
were obvious.  Now that we are building very large networked security
systems, the aphorism of "trust but verify" should be nailed to the
heads of our managers, engineers and customers.

For all the hype of the We Web, Web 2.0, SecondLives, Who Is Who,
the web is just an amplifier.  Don't put an amplifier where all
you need is a filter.   Engineers understood that long ago, but
in today's hot money-gottaBeAHero environment, fishbrained engineers
continue to feed their children to the machine.

No, I'm not optimistic.  The insistence on engineering over philosophy
means the technology is getting faster and cheaper, but the humans are
learning little.   If the web really is a 'social system' (it isn't;
it amplifies one), it is incredibly primitive.

Len Bullard
Senior Technical Consultant, Security, Government & Infrastructure (SG&I Division)
Intergraph Corporation (NASDAQ: INGR)
P.O. Box 6695, Huntsville, AL 35824 USA
P 1.256.730.8140 F (256) 730-8006
len.bullard@intergraph.com, www.intergraph.com