   RE: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization, xs:anyURI

  • To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>, lists@jeffrafter.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization, xs:anyURI, and URILiterals in XPath 2.0
  • From: Michele Vivoda <idmichele@yahoo.it>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:47:41 +0200 (CEST)

--- Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> ha scritto:

> > In this section they talk about whitespace
>
> You're quoting RFC 2396, yes?

Yes, sorry I was in a hurry.

> > 1.6. Syntax Notation and Common Elements
> >
> > This document uses two conventions to describe and
> > define the syntax
> >    for URI.
>
> > Whitespace should be
> >    ignored.
>
> That's clearly referring to whitespace in the BNF,
> not whitespace in the
> URI.

My mistake. This first  part I quoted is,
as you say, talking of the BNF,
I was fast searching to find the Appendix E. space
section and I wrongly included also this,
fascinated by "whitespace" and "removed" words,
I also though, "nice, I didn't see it before",
I usually read the new URI RFC 3986
where this part about the  BNF has
been removed, as I said my mistake.

> > >In Appendix E: They say it should be removed
> >

> The context here is:
>
> URI are often transmitted through formats that do
> not provide a clear
>    context for their interpretation.  For example,
> there are many
>    occasions when URI are included in plain text...
>    In some cases, extra whitespace (spaces,
> linebreaks, tabs, etc.) may
>    need to be added to break long URI across lines.
> The whitespace
>    should be ignored when extracting the URI.
>
> This is clearly not a general recommendation for
> handling of whitespace
> within URIs: it's a recommendation for how URIs
> should be extracted for
> example from the text of an email message.

This was the part I was mainly referring to,
I should have posted only this. It comes from
the URL RFC, is the same in the URL and URI RFC.

If you don't mind, before answering I would like to
ask
if you agree with the following:

-
I thought that this rule from appendix E,
together with the 'represent a space with %20'
rule could be put together as:

seen that spaces are not allowed,
if you find a space just ignore it if you think
that this is allowed for your context,
otherwise is a syntax error.
-

Greetings,