   RE: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization, xs:anyURI

  • To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>, lists@jeffrafter.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization, xs:anyURI, and URILiterals in XPath 2.0
  • From: Michele Vivoda <idmichele@yahoo.it>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:08:41 +0200 (CEST)

> > So
> >
> > http://www.example.com/Example with two  spaces
> >
> > is not a valid xs:anyURI
>
> You seem to be assuming that because it's not a
> valid URI then it's not a
> valid xs:anyURI. This doesn't follow. The schema
> spec allows an xs:anyURI to
> contain what I call a "wannabe URI": more formally,
> it can contain any
> string that can be mapped to a URI by following the
> escaping procedure in
> section 5.4 of XLink. This mapping performs
> percent-encoding on all
> "disallowed characters"; a space is a disallowed
> character that maps to %20;
> therefore a space is allowed in an xs:anyURI value
> (even though it not
> allowed in an IRI as defined by RFC 3987).

You're right, didn't know that,
I went through the spec(s) you mentioned..
I find it strange anyway,
is a little bit too much for machines
data exchange and too little for an user interface.

I am not sure if I want this uri
to be reported as valid when doing
validation  of machine-written data
( like for example for the urls of a
publishing system):

1) http://www.example.org/c a/c%20b

When I am not so strict and I support
the user with some uri escaping
I would like to help him when he types

2) http://www.example.org/c  a/

to be resolved 'correctly' to

http://www.example.org/c%20%20a/

(as for example windows explorer does)

and not to

http://www.example.org/c%20a/

may be I am missing something..

Just to be clear: this should be a valid xs:anyURI
isn't it ? http://www.example.org/c a/c%20b
and when I 'map' it to an URI becomes

http://www.example.org/c%20a/c%20b

Right ?