Re: [xml-dev] Don't you need an XML Virtual Machine ?

Hi Oleg,

Oleg A. Paraschenko wrote:
Hi Philippe,

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:46:56 +0200
Philippe Poulard <Philippe.Poulard@sophia.inria.fr> wrote:

Hi,

RefleX 0.1.3, a general-purpose XML Virtual Machine, is available here :
http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/

I used to utilize the buzzword "XML Virtual Machine" for my works, but now
I'm in doubt. What "XML Virtual Machine" could be? What properties are
expected from it?

I would answer the same for Java : any machine that could translate XML in something that can run on this machine

I called my executable XML "Active Tags" ; Active Tags just specifies a behaviour, not how you could implement it : if you want to write an interpreter or a compiler, translate XML to Java code (or any other language), load precompiled classes, or combine several of them, you're welcome.

RefleX is an implementation in Java of Active Tags. I find it close to the idea of what people would think of an "XML Virtual Machine" : a general-purpose environment that can perform programs made with tags.
The idea of "general-purpose" is more important than "tags" : a syntax à la XQuery could be a candidate, but XQuery is not a "general-purpose" language ; thus a pure implementation of XQuery can't be an "XML Virtual Machine", although it could be extended to.

Of course, all that can be discussed :)

And are you sure that just using XML syntax for programming qualifies for the proud title of "XML Virtual Machine"?

As I said previously, I think it's not enough.

XML technologies like XML and XPath are used in Active Tags to achieve things that are not necessary related to XML.

In this release, you'll find tutorials for mapping SQL to arbitrary complex XML structures, and for experimenting the Active Schema Language
: express constraints on XML documents that you can't achieve with DTD,

W3C XML Schema, neither Relax NG, and define custom semantic data types.

Enjoy !

-- Cordialement,

              ///
             (. .)