   Re: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization, xs:anyURI

  • To: lists@jeffrafter.com, "xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization, xs:anyURI, and URILiterals in XPath 2.0
  • From: Michele Vivoda <idmichele@yahoo.it>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:08:23 +0200 (CEST)

> > May be there is some other use or apect
> > I am not aware of. I noticed now that both IE
> > and Mozilla interperet this as valid url:
> >
> > file:/D:/Music/bob/Catch%20A Fire
>
> Well, those browsers accept a lot of things that
> aren't necessarily
> valid.

Sure, I think in their favour there is the fact
that they can try to resolve the uri to a location.

I think that is the intent here as well...
> when you have
> something that can safely be converted to a URI the
> XML Schema rec
> allows for it.

But when you have something that can not safely
be converted to an URI is valid as well and the
schema cannot check.

>In terms of the multiple spaces being
> normalized, you
> could always create a derived type that constrained
> the whiteSpace facet
> to preserve.

Deriving from xs:string ? I think only in that
case is allowed to change that facet.

If you meant that, I think
is a good option for an 'rfc uri'

From the XML Schema view, if your
> application is consuming
> the PSVI it would only see the corrected URI anyway.

Not sure on this..what does the PSVI
expose ? I thought only the space-normalized
value, so the 'wannabe uri' ;-) after space collapse.
right ?

Greetings,
Michele

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice: chiama da PC a telefono a tariffe esclusive
http://it.messenger.yahoo.com