   RE: [xml-dev] Have JDOM / XOM / etc. failed? If so, why?

 "People complain about the DOM, but they don't embrace alternatives.  For all the work that people have done to provide alternatives such as JDOM, dom4j, XOM, etc. in the Java world, the typical users and the major Java players still use DOM, warts and all."   I'm not at all convinced this is true, but I don't have any information at my fingertips to dispute it.  Would anyone care to present facts on one side or the other?

It's impossible to get facts about the how many developers are using different technologies: all one can do is share personal impressions.

There's a logic flaw in the first sentence above: the people who complain probably do embrace alternatives; it's the people who don't complain who don't. And the vast majority of developers don't complain. They just put up with all the lousy stuff that's thrown at them. Many of them probably don't even recognize that it's lousy, others just expect technology to be lousy, that's how they earn their living, by making lousy technology work. After all, even on this list we all know that XML itself is not exactly flawless, yet we put up with it.

But if this is true, why have cleaner, programming language-friendly alternatives failed to displace the dear old DOM as the dominant XML programming model after all these years?  I have a few hypotheses (and these are MY hypotheses, not some FUD from Evil Empire Central Command, so blame me for any stupidities and the blatant exaggerations).

- Duh, the network effect.  A mediocre standard beats a better non-standard every time.

- Serious XML developers use XSLT for the heavy lifting and simply don't worry about APIs any more.

- Sun and IBM haven't included any of the alternatives in their distributions, so the masses don't even know these things exist, or fear being stranded in a backwater if they do adopt one.

- Compiled languages are *so* last century, all the interesting XML processing alternatives are in the dynamic languages world.  [E4X | Python | Ruby | PHP | Scala ] rulez, who cares about any of that stuff anymore?

Thoughts on any of these hypotheses, anyone?

I don't see much of your option 4. The others are all perfectly valid. DOM is part of the JDK so it must be mainstream. There's also a 5: A lot of Java users think that data binding is the right way to do things. And a 6: in many large companies technology choices are made by people with very limited technical knowledge - certainly not by programmers.

Michael Kay

http://www.saxonica.com/