   <offtopic> Tiered Pricing for Free Web Services

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: <offtopic> Tiered Pricing for Free Web Services
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)" <len.bullard@intergraph.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:47:51 -0500

How long until the mashups have to pay for free
services in a tiered model?  I note that Google
reversed the policy and only asks for notification
if one is expecting lots of traffic, but at scale,
they can afford that.  Others can't and investors
demand profits and growth.

Once upon a time, airlines had lots of goodies.

The basis of the mashup is the simplicity of the
components.  The basis of airline goodies was
high ticket costs and non-commodity passengers but
essentially commodity airliners.  Once again,
call-girl prices for street level services.  As
long as the quality is high and the customers
are selected (not selective, selected, say
cherry-picked), that economy works.  But as the
market transitions into a condition where price
and other competitive pressures require less
selection of customers, quality declines as
as supplies are limited.  No one is interested,
they say, in such markets but that is witless.
Market evolution is not about CEO choices or
even buyer choices.  It is about limits on
resources (say, data quality and currency,
for example).

I wonder about the load point for competition
based on mashups.   To do what the pundits
tell us is already happening (I doubt it is
because I think free mashups are sheltering
in a pool of excess capacity), the Internet
infrastructure has to have the analog of
zero-point energy.

len