   Re: [xml-dev] Newbie Schema Restriction Question

At 2006-04-21 14:51 -0400, Schneider, John Adam      CAR wrote:
>I'm deriving types from UBL, some of which have elements which are required
>by the specification.

Your problem isn't UBL related, it is an issue with the derivation
you are attempting.

>I would like to derive the element types using
>restriction, and use the derived types instead of the base types.  For
>example, I'd like to derive MyLineItemType from restriction of the UBL
>LineItemType and use MyLineItemType as an element within MyOrderLineType,
>which is derived from a restriction of the UBL OrderLineType. However, when
>I do this, I get the following error from the JAXB xjc utility:
>
>[ERROR] rcase-RecurseLax.2: There is not a complete functional mapping
>between t
>he particles.
>   line 20 of
>file:/D:/Documents%20and%20Settings/chgtg6h/workspace/Order%20Inter
>face/src/xsd/annotated/test/Child.xsd
>
>[ERROR] derivation-ok-restriction.5.4.2: Error for type 'ChildType'.  The
>partic
>le of the type is not a valid restriction of the particle of the base.
>   line 20 of
>file:/D:/Documents%20and%20Settings/chgtg6h/workspace/Order%20Inter
>face/src/xsd/annotated/test/Child.xsd

That is telling you that your restriction is invalid.

>Here are the Schema files which I am using to test my requirements:
>
>Parent.xsd:
>   targetNamespace="parent"
>   <xsd:element name="Element" type="ElementType"/>
>   <xsd:complexType name="ParentType">
>     <xsd:sequence>
>       <xsd:element ref="Element" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"></xsd:element>

Okay ... so in parent:ParentType is made up of elements named
{parent}ElementType.

>Child.xsd:
>   targetNamespace="child"
>   <xsd:element name="Element" type="RestrictedElementType"
>   <xsd:complexType name="ChildType">
>     <xsd:complexContent>
>       <xsd:restriction base="parent:ParentType">
>         <xsd:sequence>
>           <xsd:element ref="Element" minOccurs="1"

Here you are indicating that the restricted content is made up of
elements named {child}ElementType.

>Why can't I do this?

Because these element names are in different namespaces, they are not
considered the same particle.  So, an instance of your ChildType
type, which has {child}ElementType children, isn't a valid instance
of the {parent}ParentType you are deriving from.

>In this situation, the element "Element" in
>"ChildType" has a type which is valid derivation of the "ElementType" in my
>parent schema.

I don't see it as valid ... the child elements are in a different namespace.

>In the OO paradigm which I am familiar with, this is perfectly legal.

I think you are missing the namespace issue ... you've named your
child elements with a different namespace, which makes them different
even though the "local names" are the same.

>For example, here is essentially the same situation in Java:

I disagree ... the local names are the same, but in your W3C Schema
expressions you are using different namespaces, thus you are using
different qualified names.

I hope this helps.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04