   RE: [xml-dev] Inversion of control (was: DOM's javascript roots (was Re:

> That's pretty hard-core. ;-)
> (due to SAX imposed "involuntary
> inversion-of-control")

Perhaps it's voluntary? Saxon makes heavy use of push pipelines internally,
by choice.

I'm coming to the conclusion that anyone who puts the main processing loop
in their own program is being unreasonably egocentric. XML applications
should be written so they can be placed on a processing pipeline. I don't
care too much whether it's a pull pipeline or a push pipeline, neither is
intrinsically easier or harder to write than the other. Pull only makes life
easier if you're the lucky one at the top of the food chain. And if someone
has selfishly occupied that position, the only way to extend the pipeline
further is by push...

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/