   Re: [xml-dev] DOM's javascript roots (was Re: [xml-dev] Have JDOM / XOM

  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] DOM's javascript roots (was Re: [xml-dev] Have JDOM / XOM / etc. failed?)
  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:29:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com> wrote:

> FWIW. I've been involved in XML/SGML API design
> since before XML
> existed, have looked at the various alternative to
> DOM, and IMHO none
> of them are so much better that they are compelling
> (except some of
> the tools in the functional programming world).

After having to write a converter from DOM yesterday,
I have to say, however, that anyone who needs to deal
with namespace declarations is going to hate using DOM
(since it does not distinguish between ns decls and
regular attributes).
Namespace handling is an absolute mess, and
alternatives I have tried (JDOM, XOM) all implement in
less messy way, and significantly so.

> That said, I rarely use DOM anyway: I do almost
> everything in SAX...

That's pretty hard-core. ;-)
(due to SAX imposed "involuntary
inversion-of-control")