   Re: [xml-dev] electronic newspaper

  • To: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] electronic newspaper
  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 06:07:53 -0400
  • Cc: xml-dev DEV' <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

G. Ken Holman wrote:
> I see this formatting task having a different raison d'être than that
> targeted by XSL-FO:
>
>   "The electronic paper is displayed in columns and it
>    formats itself to fit any size screen."
>
> XSL-FO is for paginated presentation with a prescribed layout (columns,
> margins, etc.) set out by the stylesheet writer.

It's more or less been forgotten, but at one point in time XSL-FO was
intended for both print and web:

     When pages are used with a User Agent such as a Web browser, it
     is common that the each document has only one page. The viewport
     used to view the page determines the size of the page. When
     pages are placed on non-interactive media, such as sheets of
     paper, pages correspond to one or more of the surfaces of the
     paper. The size of the paper determines the size of the page.

At this point it seems unlikely that any general purpose browser will
ever implement XSL-FO though.