   Re: [xml-dev] electronic newspaper

I was trying to be careful in my wording not to
imply anything about print and web in my
response, as I had not forgotten that XSL-FO is designed for both.

XSL-FO is targeted for a paginated presentation,
whether or not targeted for a web screen or a
printed page.  Parts of pagination include column
count, margins from boundaries, etc. ... there
was no attempt to imply pagination restricts the
end result to electronic as that was not the
issue I was using to refute the original poster's
claim that XSL-FO "failed at the big end".

The cited article referenced dynamically changing
the column count, which is the point that I was
trying to get across about XSL-FO 1.x where the
column count is specified by the stylesheet.

There are, indeed, three targets for FO:  aural,
visual interactive and visual static ... I too
haven't yet found any engines for anything other
than visual static presentations.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04