   Re: [xml-dev] Handling of PIs (was RE: [xml-dev] Choosing a target name.

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Handling of PIs (was RE: [xml-dev] Choosing a target name...)
  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 17:19:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> Tatu Saloranta wrote:

> > for comments was more optional), and at least
> > regarding parsers, they must be passed to handling
> > app/tool.
>
> XML doesn't really define a processing model. This
> is arguably a flaw in
> the spec. What must be passed is pretty haphazard.

Quite... but I thought that following (XML 1.0 specs,
2.6) was quite clear on this:

"PIs are not part of the document's character data,
but MUST be passed through to the application."

And this is quite different from what is said about,
say, comments:

"They are not part of the document's character data;
an XML processor MAY, but need not, make it possible
for an application to retrieve the text of comments."

Now, I do understand that just saying something should
(or MUST) be provided does not prescribe exact
mechanism... but a general-purpose API to an xml
processing tool that lacks such facility does seem
against the spirit of the specs, no?

> For instance, XML
> processors must provide default attribute values
> when no specified
> attribute is present. However there's no rule that
> says they have to
> provide specified attribute values.

:-)

-+ Tatu +-