   Re: [xml-dev] Handling of PIs (was RE: [xml-dev] Choosing a targetname..

Tatu Saloranta wrote:

> I'm curious: are you thinking in general terms of XML
> processing applications, or strictly about XML
> processing tools (parsers, xslt/xquery tools)? I
> thought that latter must handle PIs (whereas support
> for comments was more optional), and at least
> regarding parsers, they must be passed to handling
> app/tool.

XML doesn't really define a processing model. This is arguably a flaw in
the spec. What must be passed is pretty haphazard. For instance, XML
processors must provide default attribute values when no specified
attribute is present. However there's no rule that says they have to
provide specified attribute values.

For what's required to be reported and not, you really have to look at
the specific API: SAX, DOM, etc. and they aren't always clear either.