   Handling of PIs (was RE: [xml-dev] Choosing a target name...)

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Handling of PIs (was RE: [xml-dev] Choosing a target name...)
  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:07:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Bullard, Claude L (Len)"
<len.bullard@intergraph.com> wrote:

..
> As to PIs, the fact that so many XML processors
> don't handle
> them says the XML specification designers' job was

I'm curious: are you thinking in general terms of XML
processing applications, or strictly about XML
processing tools (parsers, xslt/xquery tools)? I
thought that latter must handle PIs (whereas support
for comments was more optional), and at least
regarding parsers, they must be passed to handling
app/tool.

That obviously doesn't help with folks who re-define
what they think XML should mean (Soap, Xmpp) and omit
pieces they don't like.

-+ Tatu +-