   Re: [xml-dev] Choosing a target name for a processing instruction

Michael Good wrote:

> Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I tried to use
>
>  ProcessingInstruction pi = doc.createProcessingInstruction("feature", "");
>
> the result was
>
> <?feature ?>
>
> instead of
>
> <?feature?>

The former is acceptable. The space you see is not part of the
processing instruction data, which is the empty string as you requested.
  The data doesn't start till after the first run of white space.

> Multiple XML parsers complained that a document using the former is
> not well-formed.

They're wrong. Both variants are well-formed. If they're complaining
it's a bug. Which parsers (and which versions of those parsers) had this
problem?