   Re: [xml-dev] [Watchers of the Web] The evolving form of informationon t

Roger,
I assume that you mean information that is usable by people?  If you
mean machine-oriented information then counting bytes will work.  If you
mean people-oriented information, that is much harder to get a grip on.

For example, I think that for image content you are attempting the
impossible.  Given three JPEGS of the same size, a JPEG of a Rothko
painting, a JPEG of a Vermeer landscape and a JPEG of an aerial
photograph of a city, the three arguably have different amounts of
people-oriented information imbedded in them.  I have never heard anyone
suggest that Rothko's paintings sould be decomposed and looked at in
pieces, the Vermeer is arguably interesting to look at in pieces but you
always want the whole as well, and the main use of the aerial photo is
in looking at pieces of it (the whole photo may not be interesting at
all).  The ability and desire to decompose suggests the amount of
identifiable, separable and technical information elements in each image
(I know Rothko provokes complex emotional responses, but for the sake of
this argument I am pretending that emtional responses are not information).

The image problem described above applies to all other types of
information, otherwise my son listening to a Rammstein MP3 is getting
the same quantity of information as a podcast on health of the same
length from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (a result that I
have to reject both intellectually and emotionally).

To get a handle on information on the web more broadly, what you may
need to consider is consumption by types of consumers (information
available but unaccessed might not be so interesting) and changing
patterns of access/consumption (are people substituting audio for HTML
as podcasting becomes more important?). Are there different classes of
consumers?  Perhaps the answer to the quantity issue is the bandwidth of
the consumers, perhaps people can only extract information at a fixed
rate from specific content types (image, HTML, audio, PDF), and
measuring time spent consuming, by content type, would give an
indication of the quantum, making those measurements over time would
give an indication of trend.

Greg