   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today

Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> <Definitions>
> OMG:
>
> Service Oriented Architecture is an architectural style for a
> community of providers and consumers of services to achieve mutual
> value, that:
>
> * Allows participants in the communities to work together with
> minimal co-dependence or technology dependence
> * Specifies the contracts to which organizations, people and
> technologies must adhere in order to participate in the community
> * Provides for business value and business processes to be realized
> by the community
> * Allows for a variety of technology to be used to facilitate
> interactions within the community
>
> The corresponding definition of service has not yet been finalized
> but the sense of the group is that there would be both a business/
> domain centric notion of service as well as an interaction focused
> definition.
>
> THE OPEN GROUP:
>
> SOA is an architectural style that supports service orientation
>
> * Service orientation: A way of a way of thinking in terms of
> services and service based development and the outcomes that
> services bring
>
> * Service: A logical representation of a repeatable business
> activity that has a specified outcome (e.g., check customer credit;
> provide weather data, consolidate drilling reports), is self-
> contained and maybe composed of other Services. It is a black box
> to consumers of the Service
>
> * Architectural Style: The combination of distinctive features in
> which Enterprise Architecture is done, or expressed
>
> * The SOA Architectural style's distinctive features:
>
>   - Based on the design of the services comprising an enterprise's
>      (or inter-enterprise) business processes. Services mirror real-
> world
>      business activity
>
>   - Service representation utilizes business descriptions. Service
>      representation requires providing its context (including business
>      process, goal, rule, policy, service interface and service
> component)
>      and service orchestration to implement service
>
>   - Has unique requirements on infrastructure. Implementations are
>      recommended to use open standards, realize interoperability and
>      location transparency.
>
>   - Implementations are environment specific, they are constrained or
>     enabled by context and must be described within their context.
>
>   - Requires strong governance of service representation and
> implementation
>
>   - Requires a "Litmus Test", which determined a "good service"
>
> OASIS:
>
> Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) is a paradigm for organizing
> and utilizing distributed capabilities that may be under the
> control of different ownership domains. It provides a uniform means
> to offer, discover, interact with and use capabilities to produce
> [...]

To summarise:

OMG: SOA is a collaboration that allows business processes to happen
Open Group: SOA is all about (and cannot exist without) business
processes
OASIS: SOA isn't necessarily anything to do with business processes
--
犬 Chris Burdess
   "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety