   Re: [ubl-dev] ebXML approval retrospective

  • To: fulton.wilcox@coltsnecksolutions.com
  • Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] ebXML approval retrospective
  • From: "Fraser Goffin" <goffinf@googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 18:22:57 +0100
  • Cc: ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org, xml-dev@lists.xml.org

> In the same context, SOA/SOAP model is moving ahead none too rapidly either,
> with most successes being "intramural."

I disagree. The pace of adoption for SOA/SOAP integration for B2B
varies. In my own case it is the *primary* model not, as many suggest
one which only follows successful internal integration exercises
(indeed many are less enthuiastic about using SOA/SOAP internally
where all parts of the solution are available to implementers).

As far as the challenges of versioning and extensibility are
concerned, I agree whole-heartedly. Working with a standards body not
dis-similar to UBL (for UK General Insurance Standards), there are
identical problems and, not many easy / obvious solutions. This is why
I (amongst many) having been staying close to the various approaches
that UBL are considering (genericode, nvdl, etc.).

Some time ago, I took my organisation down the ebXML route for one
particular project (at least the the MS specification) but as others
may have found the support in terms of off the shelf implementations
was not there and there was (is) enormous pressure to use WS-*. I have
long been a supporter of ebXML, but I remain to be convinced that it
will eventually gain sufficient market traction. Yes some (perhaps
even many) of the mainstream players have support for some of the
specifications, but under challenge many of these prove to be somewhat
incomplete and sometimes a bit superficial. I am pleased though that
this effort continues. Many of the ideas that have been adopted by
other specs have their roots in ebXML so in that regard, it *is* a
success story.

Fraser.