   RE: [xml-dev] Re: [Schematron-love-in] ISO Schematron Update (RETRY)

> > Thanks, but I have already done this in the same way myself. My
> point was
> > just that, if there was a new implementation coming, XML would
> be a better
> > output for the default as this is easy to convert to HTML or a
> specific XML
> > format.
>
> Oh OK. Agree, XML is a more useful format.
>
> We found that when we amended schematron-xml.xsl to create our own
> customised output format for validation we still needed to have
> another output format for testing which rules had fired (or not) -
> (our output is biased towards what failed rather than what worked).
> What we did was leave the default schematron XML output in place and
> just introduced a param to switch between the 2 formats.
>
> Did you find a need for something similar or did you take a
> different approach ?

I took a different approach. I developed a simple XML language for defining
edits to XML documents. I just write test scripts, saying what edits to make
(to break rules in different ways) and what result to expect. I then have an
ASP page to run this. For example, the version of the Election Markup
Language we are using for electoral registration in the UK has 53 Schematron
rules and 103 test cases. This tells me very quickly if rules have not
fired, as well as finding other odd little anomalies.

Paul