   RE: [xml-dev] hierarchical XML in a relational DB structure - moving nod

  • To: "Ken North" <kennorth@sbcglobal.net>,"xml-dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] hierarchical XML in a relational DB structure - moving nodes
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)" <len.bullard@intergraph.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:55:25 -0500

No Ken, he was an American as I recall doing business in the CALS world.
He and I discussed his techniques when he presented them at a conference
I was keynoting in the very early nineties.    If someone has access to
archives of TAG, it may be there somewhere.

Thanks for the reminder about the SQL sort order.  I ran into that too.
Indexing by mapping hierarchy to integer ids looked intuitively simple
but proved to be anything but.   I think the tumbler idea is a bit
better and more amenable to string wrangling.

len

From: Ken North [mailto:kennorth@sbcglobal.net]

>> In the SGML days, there was a relational guru whose name I can't
recall.

We discussed Hans Schouten's work in this thread. Is he the person?