   Re: [xml-dev] 10th anniversary of the annoucement of XML ..need help

On Jun 06, 2006, at 19:44, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> At the ISO SC34 meeting in Korea, a question came up of whether
> there was
> any scope for repackaging parts of HyTime in some more XML/XPath/XLink
> friendly way. Anyone who has ideas or requirements or use cases or
> running
> code in this area is very welcome to let an SC34 WG 1 committee person
> know

I think there is some form of lack of communication between the folks
who know what HyTime does in this area and those who may have use
cases. The latter aren't formulating requests for features they might
not know can be accomplished in a more or less unified manner, the
former tend, in my experience, to discuss the technical details of
how it could be done but say little of actual use cases. It smells
like there could be something to unearth here, though I must I have
no clue what.

> I don't see it myself. The poor uptake of XLink suggests there is some
> funny dynamic at play hindering linking in general, independent of
> the technical excellence of the solutions.

In my experience, XLink carries too high a cost for the simple uses à
la HTML, and is apparently insufficiently powerful for the advanced
uses. I don't know if it's just that or if there is more of a "funny
dynamic". All SVG got from adopting it is questions about why one
should need an extra namespace instead of just having a simple local
attribute. Proposals to introduce more advanced linking to it have
largely met with blank stares so far.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist