   RE: [xml-dev] 10th anniversary of the annoucement of XML ..needhelp

Perhaps the 10th anniversary of the announcement of XML is a time
to look to the future. What comes next?

I am not asking for a discussion of what tweaks we want in XML 2.0,
or what features we really really want in XSLT 3.0. Or even what
we might want to add to the library of XML-related specification
and standards.

I am wondering what comes after XML. What do we need/want it to
be/do?
   - handle overlap?
   - have a better grip on semantics?
   - infer structures from text or minimal markup (e.g., most WIKI
      languages, or SGML's datatag)?
   - be compact?
   - be simpler than XML? If so, what does "simple" mean?
   - be richer than XML? If so, what does "richer" mean?

XML is cool. XML is useful. Is XML the permanent last word in
markup specification languages? If not, what will be next?

If these questions interest you come to Extreme Markup Languages,
where these and other hard questions about XML and markup are
discussed. http://www.extrememarkup.com

-- Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@mulberrytech.com
   Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML