   Re: [xml-dev] How Much of the Data in The World Is In XML Format?

On 08/06/06, Michael Champion <mchampion@xegesis.org> wrote:

> Considering that the first part of  the sentence: "Viper is really aimed
> at taking (Oracle) out of the market," is delusional, I have little
> reason to believe the second part.

There are a lot of things he could mean with the phrase "is in XML".
These three spring immediately to mind:

- information/messages exchanged in an XML format (blog feeds, bank
transactions, etc.)
- non-normative information stored in XML (backups, database exports,
archives, etc.)
- normative information stored in XML (i.e. as primary storage instead
of a database)

I'm guessing that the first is a very large number, due to the
blogosphere, business systems that exchange huge quantities of XML
messages, etc., but the information is ephemeral and XML would have to
compete against many other high-volume, non-XML messaging formats.
The second is a growing number, but probably swamped easily by plain
text, much database tables, fixed-field files, etc. I suspect that the
third is a relatively small number right now.

All the best,

David

--
XML 2006 Conference: http://2006.xmlconference.org/