   Re: [xml-dev] How Much of the Data in The World Is In XML Format?

David Megginson said:

> These three spring immediately to mind:
>
> - information/messages exchanged in an XML format (blog feeds, bank
> transactions, etc.)
> - non-normative information stored in XML (backups, database exports,
> archives, etc.)
> - normative information stored in XML (i.e. as primary storage instead
> of a database)
>
> I'm guessing that the first is a very large number, due to the
> blogosphere, business systems that exchange huge quantities of XML
> messages, etc., but the information is ephemeral and XML would have to
> compete against many other high-volume, non-XML messaging formats. The
> second is a growing number, but probably swamped easily by plain text,
> much database tables, fixed-field files, etc. I suspect that the third
> is a relatively small number right now.

Also would be interesting a measurement of how many data will remain in
that format for the next 10 years.

For instance, we began to encode data in XML and after of some experiences
decided to abandon the format. Therefore in the next statistics we will
not be in the 40% as now ;-)

Juan R.

Center for CANONICAL |SCIENCE)