   Re: [xml-dev] Media type (MIME) of XML in MS Word? in Notepad? when comp

On Jun 10, 2006, at 16:48, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> In the list [1] of media types (MIME) it shows two different media
> types for XML:
>
> application/xml
>
> text/xml
>

> What’s the difference between these two?
text/xml has impractical rules for character encoding defaulting.
application/xml should be used instead. Hopefully RFC 3023 will be
superseded by an RFC that deprecates text/xml.

The charset parameter on application/xml is silly, too.
> <?xml version=”1.0”?>
Smart quotes are wrong there.

> <root>
>
>       Blah
>
> </root>
>

> Suppose I take this simple XML and put it into a MS Word document.
> What’s its media type?  Is it:
>

>          application/msword,
Yes.
> Suppose that I put it into a Notepad document.  Now what’s its
> media type?  Is it:
>

>          text/plain, or
If you don't want it to be processed as XML.
>          application/xml
If you want it to be processed as XML.

> Suppose that I put it into a Notepad document and then, using
> Winzip, I compress it.  Now what’s its media type? Is it:
>
>          application/zip,
Yes.

--
Henri Sivonen