   Media type (MIME) of XML in MS Word? in Notepad? when compressed? etc

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Media type (MIME) of XML in MS Word? in Notepad? when compressed? etc
  • From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 09:48:12 -0400

Hi Folks,

Question #1

In the list [1] of media types (MIME) it shows two different media types for XML:

    application/xml

    text/xml

What’s the difference between these two?

Question #2

Consider this simple XML:

<?xml version=”1.0”?>

<root>

      Blah

</root>

Suppose I take this simple XML and put it into a MS Word document.  What’s its media type?  Is it:

         application/msword, or

         application/xml, or

         text/xml?

Suppose that I put it into a Notepad document.  Now what’s its media type?  Is it:

         text/plain, or

         application/xml, or

         text/xml?

Suppose that I put it into a Notepad document and then, using Winzip, I compress it.  Now what’s its media type? Is it:

         application/zip, or

         application/octet-stream, or

         application/xml, or

         text/xml?