   RE: [xml-dev] [Summary, VERSION #3] Media type (MIME) of XML in MS Word?

> Having spent some time following this perma-thread - it seems
> to me that if I was a designing an OS from scratch I would
> ditch the file extensions (in MS, VMS, etc) and use MIME
> types mapped to OS functions as part of the i-node or
> directory structure.

I am sure that anyone designing an operating system from scratch would make
the file system strongly typed, with much more scope for holding and
retaining metadata relating to the content of files - but I would hope that
they would do better than using MIME types, which are a pretty crude
mechanism. For example, how does a MIME type capture which version of Word
is needed to open a file?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/