   Re: [xml-dev] Strict DOCTYPEs are wrong, use them only for debugging

it is a little bit offtopic, but you need to know that if you don't use
the strict dtd, ie won't let you dynamically set the content of a div -
which means all ajax style documents must use the struct dtd.

and i guess in that sense it does affext this list (xml being integral
to ajax).

btw i went through significant grief with ajax stuff working in firefox,
but not ie before i realised (thanks to some googling) that this was the
case.

more ajax means more strict dtds

regards

rick

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2006, at 18:47, Frans Englich wrote:
>
>> According to this guy:
>>
>> "I see more and more websites using strict DOCTYPES, apparently
>> webdevelopers
>> have some misguided notion that this is most correct thing to do and
>> guaranties the most consistent result. Nothing could be more wrong!"
>>
>> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2097
>>
>> But what do you think?
>

> First, I think this is off-topic for this list.
> See http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/#xml
>
> I strongly disagree with the conclusions about the Standards Mode.
> (Please don't call it "strict mode". It gives people wrong ideas.)
>
> If you are using IE 5 / Netscape 4-era features only, the Quirks
> Modes in various browsers may be relatively stable for you. However,
> assuming that using new features in the Quirks Mode is somehow
> smarter than using them in the Standards Mode is just bogus. There's
> no reason to believe that new CSS features work consistently in the
> Quirks Modes of various browsers.
>
> The author is right that your stuff breaks if you rely on bugs in the
> Standards Mode. Indeed, that is correct. However, the right solution
> is not to use the Quirks Mode but the get a clue so that you know
> what you are doing, so that you don't rely on bugs.
>
> (Yes, I am biased, because I've been promoting the Standards Mode for
> something like six years now.)

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall
n:Marshall;Rick