   Re: [xml-dev] Strict DOCTYPEs are wrong, use them only for debugging

On 17/06/06, Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> wrote:

> it is a little bit offtopic, but you need to know that if you don't use
> the strict dtd, ie won't let you dynamically set the content of a div -
> which means all ajax style documents must use the struct dtd.

Thanks, Rick -- I wasn't aware of that. I develop in Firefox and use
XHTML strict anyway (there's really no need for transitional if you're
using CSS properly), so I never noticed a problem in my occasional
MSIE testing.

The original blog posting that Frans showed us might have missed the
point.  I use strict not because I want to keep browsers from going
into quirks mode -- as important as that is -- but to make sure that I
don't use any deprecated HTML features that might cause problems with
the next browser version.

All the best,

David

--