   how to design an HTML file to contain an XML file?

  • To: xml dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: how to design an HTML file to contain an XML file?
  • From: Anil Philip <goodnewsforyou@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:12:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I have an interesting design problem and wondered if the gurus would have insight into it.
I need to have an html file that contains an <A> tag. Clicking it will cause Java program to run as the href is a JNLP (Java Web start) file. I want the Java program to pick up my XML file and parse it.
1) Is there any way to combine all the above elements intelligently? (except perhaps the JNLP file).
2) How to prevent the SAX parser from choking on the HTML file that contains the XML file?
3) Where should the XML file reside in the HTML file?
The reasoning behind it is: it is easier for a user to email and interact with an HTML file rather than an XML file. For example, clicking on a hyperlink is easy.

Here is some info on Java Web start.
thanks,
Anil Philip

"Java Web Start is a helper application that gets associated with a Web browser. When a user clicks on a link that points to a special launch file (JNLP file), it causes the browser to launch Java Web Start, which then automatically downloads, caches, and runs the given Java Technology-based application. The entire process is typically completed without requiring any user interaction, except for the initial single click. "

for good news go to http://members.tripod.com/~goodnewsforyou/goodnews.html

Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much more to come.