   Re: [xml-dev] Specifying formal semantics in XML languages

At 10:13 20/06/2006, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
><snip/>

This is very useful and I intend to comment more shortly, but one quick point:

>ISO DSDL was created to give a home and official status to these
>kind of little languages. If anyone can come up with a technically
>excellent and implemented little schema language that helps validate
>some significant kinds of markup idioms that XSD or the other ISO
>DSDL schema languages do not cover well (as is *entirely* possible),
>I am certain the ISO SC34 WG1 group would be interested in
>considering it for standardization, in typically unpanicked fashion.
>
>To be honest, I suspect that Schematron with a particular extension
>could pretty much do what Peter requires. In particular, ISO
>Schematron has a macro facility called abstract patterns that allow
>you to be much more declarative in labelling the participants in a
>schema relationship: you could have one like

On visiting the SchematronWiki it seems that the ISO Schematron (30
pp) is only available by paying ISO CHF120. Having sat on an ISO ctte
I assume this to be correct. I am afraid this rules out the use of
ISO Schematron for the community I work in and also makes it
impossible to discuss its constructs on this list. Is there any
solution (like an obsoleted draft which is correct except for minor typos...)

P.

><snip/>

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics
University of Cambridge,
Lensfield Road,  Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069