   Help! Any ideas for language for validating links?

If anyone on this list has any experience or even ideas in the area of
systems for checking links, now would be a great time to share!

The background is that there is a spare slot in ISO DSDL for path and
integrity checking. We have been waiting for more experience to show up,
and I see a definite need in the area of link checking: we don't mind
formulating a new language that can be trivially implemented (e.g. on top
of XSLT) as long as the functionality comes out of some grassroots
experience. Hence this call.

Schematron is weak at traversing multiple links, or where there are
multiple levels of inclusions. It needs something more. XLinkit is
probably more than we wany (or could use). I think (not speaking
officially for the working group at ISO) that we are open to using somee
streaming subset of XPath.

I am wondering whether to make the use case something like:
  * validate a set of complex XLinks, that the various arcs point to the
right kinds of elements or attributes, where the XLinks and the things
they are pointing to are XIncluded.
  * validate Topic Maps

So any use cases, experience, ideas, suggestions welcome. How to the large
content management systems declare link checks? Or don't they?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe