   RE: [xml-dev] Clustering Customization Vs Global Standards

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 09:00 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=5387&t=finance
>
> Note the emphasis on preparing contexts for real time decisions and
> remember the discussions we've had about emergent controls for
> selectors, and the emphasis on locale as a situated semantic set.
> Locale becomes an identifier for an ontology of situation types.

Hi Len,

Interesting.. being off-list for a while I missed some of the
discussions.

but your point is right... I'll share a little story...

A friend of mine works for a stock-broking company.

He was saying that even stock exchange transactions are masked these
days by real-time systems. You can mask transactions by splitting a
large chunk of shares into smaller pieces, send them to Europe or HK,
let people buy a few... watch the prices go up... sell the rest of the
parcel... let it all fizz... see the price come back to normal... and
bang you've made a profit... above the normal profit that would have
made with a large parcel sale...

Now I don't know if this has anything to with what you are talking about
but it goes to show how much things have changed in the world..

Lots of things are a real-time game... and it is interesting to watch
some people doing things with the x-boxes or ps-2s and some with their
stock-xchg-boxes...

I'm quite sure there is some fun left to be had in xml... guess it is
just a matter of finding it.....

David