   RE: [xml-dev] Clustering Customization Vs Global Standards

Note that real time contexts are typically events and that events are
strictly ordered given a simple locale but may overlap given multiple
locales so event order is not the only signature.   When identifying a
situation semantic in an emerging phase, event order is very important
but so is proximity of multiple instances of event types.  Say you have
a system of sensors, you may be tracking the order that these send
alerts to determine time and speed of some object.  You may also be
monitoring multiple sensors and correlating these values.  To identify
an emergent event and dispatch on warning (roughly analogous to launch
on warning), you have to be able to assign force values to the events
because the emergence of a situation may be presaged by weak signals in
combination with strong signals.   Proximity is one of the signals that
you monitor given a locale ontology to make a threat assessment.   In an
intelligence assessment, you may have multiple intelligence types and
fusing these into actionable information where the responder assets are
limited is the key to effective dispatch.  Otherwise, all you are doing
is running to false alarms although false alarms are also a key piece of
information.  Eventually, all of these signals coalesce and are assigned
a value from a code list.

The tricky bit here is learning to get all of this information from
multiple XML streams emanating from different information source types
(think HUMINT, OSSINT, SIGINT, etc).   If the control is emergent, then
it may just be an Xlink type, at least, that is one way to do it.
Metadata can be emergent information, in fact, likely is.

len

From: David Lyon [mailto:david.lyon@preisshare.net]

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 09:00 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=5387&t=finance
>
> Note the emphasis on preparing contexts for real time decisions and
> remember the discussions we've had about emergent controls for
> selectors, and the emphasis on locale as a situated semantic set.
> Locale becomes an identifier for an ontology of situation types.

Hi Len,

Interesting.. being off-list for a while I missed some of the
discussions.

but your point is right... I'll share a little story...

A friend of mine works for a stock-broking company.

He was saying that even stock exchange transactions are masked these
days by real-time systems. You can mask transactions by splitting a
large chunk of shares into smaller pieces, send them to Europe or HK,
let people buy a few... watch the prices go up... sell the rest of the
parcel... let it all fizz... see the price come back to normal... and
bang you've made a profit... above the normal profit that would have
made with a large parcel sale...

Now I don't know if this has anything to with what you are talking about
but it goes to show how much things have changed in the world..

Lots of things are a real-time game... and it is interesting to watch
some people doing things with the x-boxes or ps-2s and some with their
stock-xchg-boxes...

I'm quite sure there is some fun left to be had in xml... guess it is
just a matter of finding it.....

David