From: Robin Berjon [mailto:robin.berjon@expway.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:59 AM
To: Rick Jelliffe
Cc: Howard Bartel; xml-dev@lists.xml.org Developers
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Restrictions on existence of attributes?

> Howard Bartel wrote:
>> On Jun 27, 2006, at 07:57, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>> How do I specify that an element MUST have ONLY ONE of a set of
>> possible attributes?
>> I understand that there is a "choice" option but it seems that this
>> only applies to elements, not attributes within an element.
> If you are using XML Schemas, then look at the "enumeration"
> "facet" of "datatypes". Your element must be a "complex type".

I don't think that'll solve Howard's problem since he wants only one of a set of attributes, not only one of a set of attribute values.
Presumably this can always be remodelled with some indirection (e.g.
having a @name attribute which is an enumeration, and an @value which would give its value), but that might not be an option.

My XML Schema is getting very rusty since I don't get to use it much anymore, but I don't think it can be done (or if it can it involves dark magic). In RelaxNG it's just a <choice> of <attribute> elements, easy as &pgr;.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist