   Re: [xml-dev] Restrictions on existence of attributes?

Michael Champion wrote:

> Well, as a person at a big vendor who has the job of tracking the status
> / mindshare / demand for various XML specs, I can tell you the reason:
> Almost no demand by actual paying customers. This is not FUD;  Dare, and
> Derek IIRC, I, and others have thought "cool, all I have to do is make a
> business case and Microsoft will support RELAX NG and lead us out of the
> XSD dark ages"   Trouble is, we just have nothing to work with to make
> such a case.

Many newer grammars (e.g. DocBook 5, XHTML 2) are expressed in RELAX NG
primary. If you create XSD or DTD from this RELAX NG schema, you must
create more relaxed schema because some constraints expressible by RELAX
NG can't be captured in XSD. This means that if you create instances
which are valid against such XSD, they do not have to be valid against
original intention of format specification (formally expressed in RELAX
NG).

> It's not just us; I don't think XML Spy or Stylus Studio support RELAX NG either, AFAIK for the same reason.

But oXygen does and it is more and more popular because of this. And I
think that XML Spy can change its mind, especially after XML Prague
where several people repeatedly asked for RELAX NG and Schematron
support in XML Spy. :-D

                    Nejbližší termíny školení:
     ** XSLT 23.-26.10.2006 ** XML schémata 13.-15.11.2006 **
      ** DocBook 11.-13.12.2006 ** XSL-FO 11.-12.12.2006 **
   http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature