   Re: [xml-dev] Restrictions on existence of attributes?

One of the best marketing Histories I know of is the NETSCAPE experience.
they gave it away and let advertising support it.  Support came from user
groups, but it worked.  The business case followed.  It will not need
support from any of the bigeeees and if updates are provided at less than
$9 on CD roms the market will start to grow, not for the software, but for
the expertise to produce products from it.

My experience in house is that 1 month with NG free may not be enough
time to build a use for its capabilities.  It takes a lot of people with
some software knowledge to create an installed based to make a product
work and a consentrated need to solve a problem that uses the product to
justify a corporate project.

Have you considered an open source model, where users can use it for
as long as they like as long as they do not market what they develop
without donating to the public domain the technologies they develop.
Put it on ebay at $9 for a disc bundled with as many good applications as
you can bundle.  Develop the expertise to use the products instead of
spending the money to sell the product.

Charge for support, hold classes, and make your money that way.  People
who do projects will pay for support.  Others might pay something but they
want to learn on their own. Suppose you develop an interactive disc which
not only shows how to use the product but also how to integrate it with
out xml  and sell that for $40 or so.

Without an installed based of qualified users no large demand for the
product will emerge. or You could market it in traditional fashion, spend
millions in advertising and create the installed based.

sterling