   Re: [xml-dev] Restrictions on existence of attributes?

Ken North wrote:
>> You can't dislodge an entrenched leader just by producing a better product.
>>
> Today XML Schema has that broad industry support. Alternatives such as RELAX
> will succeed in being complementary, but not as an XSD replacement, unless
> something happens like Eclipse (IBM investing millions).

However many millions IBM invested in Eclipse is a drop in the bucket
compared to the consulting revenue they must get from having a truly
viable competitor to Visual Studio for the Java platform.  It would be
very interesting to see if anyone has a business case for funding a
viable competitor to XSD, which would entail getting a lot of
user-oriented tools written (Eclipse plugins I presume), getting a
really good type story / databinding story setup and validated with a
visible success story, and ending up with a story of how real people can
end real pain with this new RNG+otherstuff without creating worse pain
elsewhere.    Technically I'm sure there's a good solution here, but
I've never been able to see a viable business proposition here. As an
analogy, technically electric cars are a pretty good solution to a lot
of problems, but the trick is to find a viable economic / political
model.  I'm bummed that I can't buy an affordable electric car for my 10
mile commute over roads where the speed limit never gets above 45 mph
(and the average speed is about 25), but don't  try to sell me stock in
your electric car company.