   Re: [xml-dev] Restrictions on existence of attributes?

> However many millions IBM invested in Eclipse is a drop in the bucket
> compared to the consulting revenue they must get from having a truly
> viable competitor to Visual Studio for the Java platform.  It would be

there does exist small differences between Websphere studio version of
eclipse and Eclipse itself; these differences show up at scale in the
form of performance (Websphere studio is bloated and typically a version
behind...though integetration with IBM products is useful).

To get any kind of productivity from your development team you will need
to give each and everyone one of em a workstation powerful enough to run
  Websphere, a database (Oracle?), and Websphere studio....and if you
are using Clearcase then things get even a bit more process intensive.

I have tried to make developers work off a build/integration server
though multiple branch development can typically make this a difficult
proposition to manage off a single box dedicated to build and deployment.

getting off the track...my point is 'did IBM's millions assist Eclipse
development'?

Definately; though I would suggest that with this 'help' that there is a
downside to such support.

To put things simply, I like pure Eclipse more then Websphere studio and
I think that software companies trying to convince us developers that
useful technologies must 'cost' millions is simply not true and more of
a byproduct of satisfying shareholders rather then developers requirements.

As for XML Schema; no one uses it bar standing a few scenarios within
the context of a few frameworks (where its usage actually means saved
time and effort)...and it's existence and support by industry has a
serious impact on the fact that most people elect *not* to use any
schema technology (thank god for well formedness!). Perhaps this is
useful in that developers are willing to use multiple technologies to
validate XML...and admitting that no one approach will solve everyone's
needs.

To make a football analogy, XML Schema is the Sven Goran Eriksson of the
XML world...continuing to extoll how good his team and his tactics are,
even whilst on the plane ride home.

> model.  I'm bummed that I can't buy an affordable electric car for my 10
> mile commute over roads where the speed limit never gets above 45 mph
> (and the average speed is about 25), but don't  try to sell me stock in
> your electric car company.

really cant resist (its monday and all!).....Why not take public
transport? or ride a bike? And if these options are either non-existent
(no bus or train) or not viable (too far a bike trip) or embarressing;
Why continue to reinforce car economies by expecting your solution to be
in the form of a 'car'?

regards, Jim Fuller