   md5sum / sha1sum for XML?

I'm trying to verify that an instance hasn't been messed with
whilst being sent from machine A to B.

With ASCII or even binary, I'm happily using md5sum for this purpose,
checking both content and order.

Unfortunately the payload (with the checksum) is wrapped
in further metadata (including the md5sum) which has
to be stripped off at the receiving end.

With the XML I'm bothered that parsing it and serialising it
will mess up this value. Particularly since this is of
necessity on a Microsoft platform, using their parser.

Has anyone tried this please, if so what were the issues.

TIA

--
Regards,

Dave Pawson