   Re: [xml-dev] md5sum / sha1sum for XML?

Hi Dave,

I've come in at the tail end of the question, but I what is it you are
trying to achieve?

These days, if a xml document has been sent from A to B, using pretty
much any protocol, it would have gone through many many crc and
integrity checks. Each tcp/ip packet gets it - each file etc. Data
corruption is much less of an issue than it was ever was even since the
days of Kermit and x/zmodem.

Actually, when I think back, my grandfather used to lay telephone lines
across the country. Sometimes the phones would run over a wire fence. At
least there would be a signal. It wasn't crash hot.

He would replace them with proper phone lines.

Anyway, towards the end of his life, this goes back a few years now, I
remember him telling me, "Best way to fix that sort of problem now is
just install a satellite dish. What we did wouldn't be done anymore"

I thought I would just add that...  because I thought it was a funny but
true story. That was my grandfathers time. Things are different now.

I'm sure there are some modern communications facilities where you live?
what island are you living on? :-)