Re: [xml-dev] md5sum / sha1sum for XML?

Dave,

btw, if you are worried about integrity, then you need to transmit the
md5sum/sha1sum outside of the payload. We are using our own protocol so
it is easy for doing it...

eg..

send..

take document#=56,Document_Type&="Purchase Order",
md5sum&="3334-3453-234" lines#=4
-<Purchase Order>
- Customer_name&="Fred Tapping"
  <Line Item> Product_Code&="A5986" Quantity#=3 </Line Item>
-</Purchase Order>

After transmission, the xml is stored in a memo field in the database.
Other fields go into other rows in the database.

The only real way to check for tampering is to provide a mechanism to
check back with the sender what the original checksum was. However, in a
workflow situation, this may be difficult. It is a reality that purchase
orders or most xml documents will get changed over their lifecycle.

So the original military security criteria of checking for tampering in
a message originally developed in the 1930's becomes somewhat irrelevant
in a business context.

As per my earlier email this week, we get a lot of people working in IT
from the military and they bring a special type of variety that us civis
can only view as being a bit different than the way we would normally
work but that is fine by me.

Regards

David