   Re: [xml-dev] Default namespace for attributes?

Replying to your previous response..

On 7/16/06, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
> My own understanding is that attribute is always related to an element
> on which it appears. So you can know identity of unnamespaced attribute
> if you take current element into account, and you will save few bits of
> memory when parsing and processing XML.

I just checked "Namespaces in XML 1.1" Recommendation.

I think you are right in your understanding above (and this answers my
question also). The new namespaces spec (ver 1.1) makes this point
clear (http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/#defaulting). Here the spec
clearly says .. "A default namespace declaration applies to all
unprefixed element names within its scope. Default namespace
declarations do not apply directly to attribute names; the
interpretation of unprefixed attributes is determined by the element
on which they appear. "

Regards,
Mukul