"Efficient XML Interchange Measurements" draft made public

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-exi-measurements-20060718/

The conclusion is "At the time of writing of this first draft, it is too early to give conclusions drawn from the test results. This draft Note is being published to encourage review and comment as this work continues." I see the results of a lot of hard work, and that work seems to be accomplishing some of the unfinished business of the old Binary XML Characterization WG. Still, I don't see anything to disconfirm my a priori belief that it will be somewhere between difficult and impossible to to develop a Binary XML format that covers a wide range of use cases and yields a useful degree of compression and speedup (and all the other properties).

So what am I missing? Is there a bunch of result data that I'm just not finding a pointer to? I realize this effort isn't complete, but what evidence can be gleaned from this to support an argument that the EXI WG is on track to discover or produce a spec that will meet its objectives spelled out in http://www.w3.org/2005/09/exi-charter-final.html ? Specifically, they are supposed to be 6 months from a Last Call working draft of a standard EXI format; does anyone think that is likely to happen?