From: bryan rasmussen [mailto:rasmussen.bryan@gmail.com]
Sent: 19 Jul, 2006 14:38
To: juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] RE: Why is there little usage of XML on the
'visible Web'?

> > I don't follow your reasoning. What would be the value of doing so?
>
> If -in your own words- everyone knows that Paris is the capital of France,
> then there is not real need for the datum on the Wiki's article and we
> could save bites whereas improving the enciclopedia (best
> useful-information noise ratio ;-).
>
> > Michael Kay
> > http://www.saxonica.com/
> >

> Maybe the problem was in the starting point, i.e. your statement everyone
> knows that Paris is the capital of France. The fact no everyone knows is
> that is doing the Wiki information valuable and therefore -if it was not
> clear- i wait no editing of the Wiki from your part.

Not definitely, there are other reasons why an encyclopedia article
might include information that everyone knows, these are:

1. traditional structure of article goes from common 'wide' knowledge
to uncommon 'narrow' knowledge.

2. The presence of knowledge that everyone can verify helps provide
users with a sense of trust in other information. Much presentation of
factual information is predicated on creating feeling of trust.  Some
might argue that this is a bad thing but I think any such argument
would be based on a foolish feeling that one should never accept
anything on trust.

3. Getting started writing an article, even when one knows a lot about
the subject, is often difficult. In getting over this difficulty it is
often easy to focus on something non-arguable. Something is
non-arguable when it is something everyone knows. This may explain
number 1.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen