   RE: [xml-dev] RE: Why is there little usage of XML on the 'visible Web'?

> Some of this thread has tried to argue that how well known a
> piece of information is either increases or decreases its
> value.  I'd suggest that the value is never determined by how
> well know the information is in absence of other factors.

Yes: but we also established that there was confusion over the question of
"value to whom". If you know how to cure Aids or predict earthquakes, the
value to mankind is maximized by sharing the knowledge, but the value to you
is maximized by keeping it to yourself. On the other hand, if you know how
to turn iron into gold, sharing the knowledge will create little added value
since the price of gold will promptly plummet...

Michael Kay