Re: Why is there little usage of XML on the 'visible Web'?

On 7/20/06, juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com
<juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com> wrote:
[...]
The experimental XML website www.canonicalscience.com was being designed
in a full XML way XHTML+MathML+SVG+XSL-FO+XSLT+UnitsML+ThermoML+CML+{a
dozen or more of MLs here} but never completely worked and w3c standards
being really limited ...

If you are pushing a technology beyond his domain, Its time to create a new technology (a new standard). You can create 3D landscapes with HTML+CSS ( CSS suport X,Y and Z ), but If you really need 3D, its better to use something else. The problem is... because everybody already support HTML, its very interesting to try to use HTML, because widen support, potential users. If you use VRML, only +-40 guys around the world will be able to see your image.

Here is a experimental example of a 3D landscape created with simple html+css:
http://www.servicios-dpi.com/fun/gpl.php

Here is a game that use a proper 3d engine for landscapes:
http://www.thepocket.com/thursday/fdw020530.jpg

I know people that can push technology forever. Hee.. theres even
people that code OOP with assembler, or with C. But to code OOP its
better to use a new standard: Java or C++.

And next MathML eliminated and after XSLT (due to verbosity inefficiency
in large datuments and incompatibilities even more trivial stylesheets for
publishing are working in Opera but not in Mozilla for instance). And then
Mozilla (Gecko engine) recommends you do not use XHTML if you are not
using MathML, therefore after some months, lot of technical experiences
and checkings, several versions of website, and external advices
(including people from a scientific Search engine will index our site) one
finalizes returning to old but effective HTML + CSS is now being installed
in the server for the definitive version of the website.

Its your solution, but I am fighting my way for XHTML-UTOPIA as posible. All my bank is in XHTML. It smell like the right thing, and the better stuff next railroads, laser canons and fliing cars, or the 1212 crusade...

Just kidding. I smell XHTML is the right thing. Sad you elimite it on
your efforts for perfect web technology combos.